Indy Bench Racing Weekend 2017 is only a little more than a week away and we have another terrific event ready to go. We wanted to let you know a couple of important things. First, we have extended the early bird rate so the early price is still, well, the price. Second, the Crowne Plaza has informed us that there are still some rooms available and they will honor the Bench Racing Weekend rate of $104. If you need a hotel for our event you should call Dina Moore, Meetings Director at 317-243-1028. She will make your reservation as long as supply lasts so we hope this fits your plans.
Indy Bench Racing Weekend has a 40 year history and brings fans, former drivers, crews, collectors and authors together to enjoy a very full agenda of racing related subjects. This year’s agenda is fabulous:
· Things begin on Friday evening with renowned broadcaster Bob Jenkins interviewed by IMS historian Donald Davidson.
· RacingHistory.org will show old racing movies from decades past
· Saturday morning there are two private race shop tours including a visit to Juncos Racing spectacular new race shop in Speedway, Indiana. Another shop tour that morning will be just a couple miles further down the road at Throckmorten Racing and the former Grant King race shop.
· An outdoor car show dedicated to former driver Bob Harkey.
· A presentation of two very rare and immaculately restored Indy cars from the private collection of Bob McConnell. One will be a front engine Watson roadster and the other a 70’s era rear engine car. A third car, an ‘82 Vollstedt-Offy courtesy of Steve Truchan.
· Enjoy a Small memorabilia and art exhibit.
· Saturday afternoon Mel Kenyon will host a conversation with event attendees and Dave “the King” Wilson.
· Viewing rare 16mm films of past Indy 500’s from raresportsfilms.com .
· A cocktail hour, and a banquet. We do expect to see many former Indy 500 drivers in attendance (Paul Goldsmith, Tom Bigelow, Johnnie Parsons, Eldon Rasmussen, are scheduled to attend)
· The main feature, Dick Simon is the featured interview with Donald Davidson.
The event starts Friday March 31st at 7PM and then continue all day Saturday April 1st at the Crowne Plaza Airport hotel. To learn more or register for the event go to www.indybrw.com click on the “Register Now” button to reserve your spot. This event is coming up quickly March 31st and April 1st.