Acura’s Cameron, Montoya Finish Fifth at Road America
* Juan Pablo Montoya and Dane Cameron score fifth top-five result of 2018
* Alvaro Parente, Katherine Legge finish seventh in GTD
* GTD championship fight continues into final three races
ELKHART LAKE, WI (August 5, 2018) – Fuel strategy and contact between competitors determined the outcome of Sunday’s Continental Tire Road Race Showcase, with Dane Cameron and Juan Pablo Montoya combining to bring their Acura Team Penske ARX-05 prototype home fifth.
In the GTD class, Katherine Legge and Alvaro Parente combined to finish seventh in another tight contest, with the majority of the field fighting for position right up to the checkers at the end of the two-hour, 40-minute WeatherTech SportsCar Championship event.
Acura Team Penske Prototype
A series of full-course cautions turned the prototype contest into a battle of fuel strategies, with Acura Team Penske’s Montoya and Cameron jumping from 10th to fifth in the closing laps to lead the Acura effort on Sunday. The result is the fifth top-five finish for the pair this season.
In the #7 Acura ARX-05, Helio Castroneves lost time leaving the pits after taking over the driving duties from starting driver Ricky Taylor, and late-race contact from fellow prototype driver Pipo Derani dropped Castroneves from seventh to 10th at the finish.
Meyer Shank Racing Acura NSX GT3
In GTD, Legge started her #86 Meyer Shank Racing Acura NSX GT3 seventh, moving up to fifth in her opening stint despite suffering body and aerodynamic damage following contact with Cooper MacNeil while fighting for position. Taking over driving duties mid-race, Parente found himself in the middle of a tight battle among all of the GTD contenders, but increasing understeer in the closing laps dropped him to seventh at the finish.
The #93 MSR Acura of Justin Marks and Lawson Aschenbach also started strong, with Marks gaining three positions in the opening laps and briefly running as high as fifth in the early laps. However, the second MSR Acura also sustained damage due to contact with a slowing prototype entry, resulting in a drive-through penalty for Aschenbach and an eighth-place finish.
With three GT races remaining, Acura and Legge remain second in the GTD Manufacturers’ and Drivers’ championships, respectively. Legge trails points leaders Bryan Sellers and Madison Snow by 18 points (250-232), while Acura remains second in the Manufacturers’ Championship with 232 points to 257 for Lamborghini.
The WeatherTech SportsCar Championship next runs the second of two GT class-only races of 2018, the August 19 Michelin GT Challenge at the fast, flowing Virginia International Raceway road course near Danville, Va.
Video recaps from this weekend’s Acura Motorsports racing activities at Road America will be posted on the “Honda Racing/HPD” YouTube channel. Produced by the Carolinas Production Group, the video packages can be found at: https://www.youtube.com/HondaRacingHPDTV
IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship
Circuit: Road America (4.0-mile road course) Elkhart Lake, WI
Weather: Mostly sunny, warm, 85 degrees F
Top-6 Prototype Results:
Ps. Class Drivers Team Chassis Time/Notes
1. Prototype Colin Braun / Jonathan Bennett CORE Autosport ORECA 07 Gibson 69 laps
2. Prototype Stephen Simpson / Misha Goikhberg JDC Miller Motorsports ORECA 07 Gibson +2.389 seconds
3. Prototype Fellipe Nasr / Eric Curran Action Express Cadillac DPi VR
4. Prototype Renger VanDer Zande / Jordan Taylor Wayne Taylor Racing Cadillac DPi VR
5. Prototype Dane Cameron/Juan Pablo Montoya Acura Team Penske Acura ARX-05
6. Prototype Pipo Derani / Johannes van Overbeek Tequila Patron ESM Nissan Ligier JSP217
10. Prototype Ricky Taylor / Helio Castroneves Acura Team Penske Acura ARX-05
Top-6 GTD Results:
Ps. Class Drivers Team Chassis Time/Notes
1. GTD Pat Long / Christina Nielsen Wright Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3R 66 laps
2. GTD Bryan Sellers / Madison Show Paul Miller Racing Lamborghini Huracan +3.186 seconds
3. GTD Cooper MacNeil / Alex Pier Guidi Scuderia Corsa Ferrari 488 GT3
4. GTD Marcus Palttala / Rob Foley Turner Motorsport BMW M6 GT3
5. GTD Jeroen Bleekemolen / Ben Keating Riley Motorsports Mercedes-AMG GT3
6. GTD Kyle Marcelli / Dominik Baumann 3 GT Racing Lexus RC F GT3
7. GTD Alvaro Parente / Katherine Legge Meyer Shank Racing Acura NSX GT3
8. GTD Lawson Aschenbach / Justin Marks Meyer Shank Racing Acura NSX GT3