David Lee Darland
Dave born in Kokomo. Indiana, is an American auto racing driver who was the 1997 USAC Silver Crown Champion, 1999 USAC National Sprint Car Champion, and 2001 and 2002 USAC National Midget Champion, making him one of only five drivers to claim all three USAC National Championships. Race wins include the 2007 & 2013 Turkey Night Grand Prix, a Southern California traditional race held on Thanksgiving Day for many years, and three wins at the Oval Nationals, held atPerris Auto Speedway in Perris, California. On August 7, 2015, Darland won his 100th USAC event at Amsoil Speedway in Superior, wisconsin.
And Dave is still winning his share of races.
Dave’s awards include…
- 2017 National Sprint Car Hall of Fame inductee
- 2015 Thomas J. Schmeh Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Sport
- 2015 Mike Curb Super License Award
- 2011 Won the King of Indiana Sprint Series title
- 2008 Won The Bob Darland Memorial Race in honor of his father.
- 2007 Indiana Sprintweek Champion
- 2002 USAC National Midget Series Champion
- 2001 USAC National Midget Series Champion
- 2001 Indiana Sprintweek Champion
- 1999 USAC National Sprint Car Series Champion
- 1999 HARF “Driver of the Year”
- 1997 USAC Silver Crown Series Champion
- 1997 HARF Co-“Driver of the Year” with Tony Stewart
- 1995 USAC Silver Crown Series “Most Improved Driver”
- 1994 HARF “Driver of the Year”His personality and popularity with fans has earned him the nickname “The People’s Champ”.